Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Fall Back

It’s that time of year again…time to “fall back,” and gain an extra hour of sleep. In previous years, I looked forward to the clocks turning back one hour. As most people say, “Hey, I’ll get an extra hour of sleep, right!?” Wrong! Well, at least in my case, things happened differently this year. Since the clocks went back an hour on Sunday, I have been getting up during my usual “spring forward” time. That means that I, unlike some people, have not had the pleasure of enjoying an extra hour of sleep. Instead, my body has mechanically woken up every morning—an hour early! This is frustrating because as a busy college senior, I thrive from life’s little bonuses such as gaining an extra scoop of rice at Chipotle, and getting an extra 10% off at the Goodwill. In similar fashion, I would also benefit from getting an extra hour of sleep, but unfortunately, my body did not get the memo.

I suppose I could use that time to be productive like getting an assignment done, prep my meals for the day, or work out; but instead, I choose to play the victim role and “play sleep.” This is the state where I am not really sleeping, but instead, allowing my body to think I am resting by just lying there. This is torturous in itself because as I’m lying there, my mind runs a marathon as I think of all the things that needs to be done.  


Hopefully, I can train my body to rest peacefully until it is really time to get up. Until then, I’ll continue to “play sleep.”  

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean by "play sleep!" I have been doing some of that myself since the time changed, but hey, at least we get to stay in bed an hour longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will steal that term "play sleep." I often find myself doing just that when I wake up at 3 in the morning. I think you still get rest. Today I just got up and started commenting!

    ReplyDelete