Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Miranda who? Oh, Miranda Writes...

Greetings! I am a super duper senior at UCF majoring in English Education. I am excited about graduating and finally being able to move on with my life! For anyone who knows my story, it has been a looooooooooong process, and the completion of my bachelor’s degree will afford me to doing things that I’ve always wanted to do. I am looking forward to becoming a “young professional,” and exploring new possibilities and opportunities amongst my professional network.

I chose to become an English teacher because I have always loved to read and write (how many times have you heard that before?) But no, really, I truly always loved to read and write. Reading always whisked me away on an adventure, while writing always allowed me to express myself to the highest degree. I’ve also always enjoyed working with adolescents. This has really been a passion of mines since in high school, as I enjoy mentoring and being a role model to particularly at-risk youth.

In the future, I would like to move away from the academic part of teaching, and exercise my role as a youth advocate. I would love to one day work as a liaison between a student’s home and school life. I believe that at-risk students can be academically successful, if their basic needs are met and they are emotionally, mentally, and physically stable. In simple terms, if a student is happy in their lives outside of school, they will be more eager and willing to perform well academically.

I look forward to a semester of blogging, jogging, clogging, and anything else that rhymes with blogging.

*Disclaimer*

Unlike some of my classmates, I have decided not to succumb to the imaginary pressure of revealing my identity. Besides, what’s the point of having an anonymous blog if you’re not gonna remain anonymous!? Any hoot, if anyone figures out my identity, I will personally write you a check for a gazillion dollars. 

Yours truly,

Miranda Writes

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully you don't do any flogging this semester. Haha - -- pardon the lame joke. In all seriousness, do you really clog? Because that would be amazing.

    I completely agree with your desire to finish school and be a "young professional" already. This is my final semester and it is excruciating because I have a major case of senior-itis.

    I love that you plan on becoming a student advocate because it's an extremely fulfilling and necessary position. Children especially need a voice in a world run by adults.

    Keep on writing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a parent of a child with disabilities I completely understand what ou are talking about when you say:

    "I would like to move away from the academic part of teaching, and exercise my role as a youth advocate. I would love to one day work as a liaison between a student’s home and school life. I believe that at-risk students can be academically successful, if their basic needs are met and they are emotionally, mentally, and physically stable."

    I come away with a new understanding every day because of my home life, interaction with school parties for my son, and my personal experiences in the classroom. Some people just don't understand that some of these kids aren't just troublemakers at school. They have real life problems that aren't being attended to. It isn't necessarily their fault, mom and dad's fault, or anyone in particular. They just need help.

    My son is just now in first grade and we are lucky in part that we are striving every day for his benefit. We finally after a year got an IEP!! You can't understand how good it is to get it done unless you go through the process. It takes a long time, a lot of meetings, tests, doctor visits, and then finally one day HURRAY your child is "gifted' with the help they need! Finally at school we have the help we need, but home is a different story. Children still need advocates when they are not in that safe controlled environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I will work hard to figure out your identity...every journey is different...but I always counsel students to stay in college as long as they can...I went through too fast....

    ReplyDelete